Blogging And The New Media Phenomenon
Blogging as an NE tool
Ivan Chew, National Library Board
1.30pm to 3.30pm
In today's highly-connected society, almost every man and his dog own a blog. BUT DO BLOGS AND NEW MEDIA HAVE A PLACE FOR NE? Local blogger, Ivan Chew (better known as the "Rambling Librarian") will give an overview of how various New Media platforms, including blogs, can be used for NE. Participants will get an opportunity to formulate and share ideas on integrating new media tools into NE initiatives, as well as discuss ways to manage the challenges in New Media, in the context of NE.
NExus website - www.nexus.gov.sg
What's the NEtwork Conference?
Did you know that National Education (NE) was launched in schools in 1997 by then-Deputy Prime Minister (DPM) Lee Hsien Loong? Since then, many agencies in the government and non-government sectors have supported the NE effort in Singapore with initiatives of their own.
The first NEtwork Conference was organised in 2003 for about 850 NE practitioners, who gathered to take stock of the progress of NE since its launch, as well as look forward to its future directions. Then-DPM Lee Hsien Loong was the guest-of-honour at the event.
Last assessed 13 Aug 2007
What NE is, and isn't
- The history of National Education
- Is National Education just government propaganda?
- Is National Education meant to be alarmist?
Here's an initial list of NE (National Education) related blogs (courtesy of Kelvin Lim from Nexus):
HISTORY - PERSONAL ACCOUNTS
- Block 13
- Good Morning Yesterday
- Times of My Life
- Save Our Chinese Heritage
- Singapore Stuff
- Bullock Cart Water
- Pasir Panjang Stories
SCHOOL NE BLOGS
- Beyond SG
- Eye e City
- Memories of Singapore
- The Janvision Gallery (photos of Singapore and Malaya 1960 - 1990)
- Historical Chinese Architecture in Singapore
- Chinese Temple
- Sin Tua in Singapore (Chinese Shrines)
IDEAS FOR CONVEYING THE NE MESSAGE (how feasible do you think they will be?)
- Book recommendations
- Historical reenactments
- Storytelling for NE
What makes bloggers tick?
- Know Thy Blogger, Know Thyself (13 Oct, 2005)
- From Good Morning Yesterday
- Why Do You Blog: A Uses-and-gratifications Inquiry Into Bloggers' Motivations by Dan Li (Aug 2005) - http://lidan.net/research/doc
/Li_Dan_Aug_2005.pdf(thanks to Kevin for the heads-up to this article)
Selected "I Am Singaporean" Meme
- The Flag - poem
- Flying the Singapore Flag
- Not Just a Foreigner's War - by Edgar Liao - "Edgar revisits the Battle of Pasir Panjang, touching on the Malay Regiment's role and its implications for us today." (thanks to Kenneth for this)
Songwriting as a way to promote NE awareness - see:
Chinese-language blog by Chung Cheng High School students who are documenting aspects of their school's history for the upcoming exhibition of "Student Life and Activities In Singapore, 1945-1965" - www.19451965.blogspot.com
Oglivy's Executive Blogger’s Guide to Building a Nest of Blogs, Wikis, and RSS - PDF file (hat-tip to PRspeak)
10 tips for a Great Blog - see this earlier post
Starting a new blog (part 1) - A post from 2006, on my personal thinking process in starting a new blog (some aspects are applicable to starting an organisational blog)
- National Day ("What jokers singapore army boys doing when they are extremely bored")
- Army Daze - 1/9 ("Singapore-made 1996 comedy movie. About 5 recruits under-going Basic Military Training")
- Every Singaporean Son (SAF National Service Video)
- Singapore Army TV Commercial - "Breaking New Ground"
- Knock It Down - Singapore Armed Forces (SAF) - ("Knock it down" - A military slang for pushups. This video clearly depicts the course of army. And I was a PTI, so i know how it went. Enjoy guys!")
- 41st SAR POP Parade ("on 15March 2006..OncE ArmouR Always Armour !! Singapore Armed Forces Rulez!")
- Ghost that scared the sh*t out of Singapore Soldiers!
- SAF FIBUA Demo
- Tribute to the United States Marine Corps
- United States Marine Corps
- US Army Drill Team
- British Army
- What sort of reactions would be get from different audiences?
- Would we allow similar videos to be made?
- Would the "Permission-Granted If You Abide By..." concept be better than a "Permission-Denied By Default" rule?
- What are the potential "Can Of Worms" that would be opened up?
- Odeo.com (Audio)
- Internet Archive (Video/ Audio/ Text library)
- YouTube (Video)
- TeacherTube (Video)
- SlideShare (Powerpoint)
- Flickr (Photos/ Images)
- Del.icio.us (Web Bookmarks)
- Blogger (Blog)
- Wordpress (Blog)
- Technorati (Blog Search tool)